#209 – What Matters in Edtech Global: Innovation
Welcome to the latest episode of the GLOBAL edition of our What Matters in Edtech Series, our podcast collaboration with Bett. This podcast series is all about the things that matter in education, and how and when tech might help.
So, what’s in this episode?
Innovation can sometimes feel esoteric. Yet, without it where would we be? Endlessly plodding perhaps…
In this episode, we are talking innovation with guests from Dubai, Brazil, Singapore and the U.K.
Expect ideas on how to build the team around you to take new ideas forward, how to create the space for innovation, and ways to measure impact, including, “how much time have I saved?”
The Edtech Podcast Team
P.S. We’d love to share your thoughts. Please do send in your highlights in the comments below or record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe.
Luciano Meira holds a PhD in mathematics education from the University of California at Berkeley (USA), a master’s in cognitive psychology and a major degree in pedagogy. He is currently a professor of psychology at the Federal University of Pernambuco, where he teaches classes on cultural psychology and innovation; also a fellow professor for the Graduate Program in Design at CESAR (Recife’s Center for Advanced Studies and Systems), and co-founder and Chief of Science and Innovation of Joy Street, a company situated at Recife’s tech park Porto Digital and dedicated to learning games and gamification.
Dr Samson Tan is the head of the Centre for Innovation in Learning. He helms innovation in learning at the National Institute of Education (NIE). NIE is an autonomous institute of Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. Ranked 10th in the world and 2nd in Asia by the QS World University Rankings in the subject of Education in 2015, the institute is the sole teacher education institute for teachers in Singapore. At his vantage point, Samson advises the Teaching and Learning Committee and IT Governance Committee in awarding grants for learning innovation projects.
Prior to joining NIE, Samson was involved in the SkillsFuture movement, spearheading the lifelong learning and workplace learning initiatives in Singapore. He worked closely with the Logistics, Hotel and Biomedical industries in providing research, consulting and training in workplace learning. At Republic Polytechnic, Samson provided advice in pedagogical innovation for various industries including the aviation engineering and management programmes.
Samson graduated with a Doctor of Education (EdD) from the University of Western Australia (UWA) in 2007. His research interest is in learning innovation and transformation. Currently, he is a member of the Executive Board of Association for Problem-based and Active Learning, (http://www.panpbl.org/about/#board), the Executive Committee on Educational Research Association of Singapore (ERAS http://eras.org.sg/about-us/executive-committee-current/) and RMIT’s Singapore Aviation Industry Advisory Committee.
Raya Bidshahri is a serial entrepreneur, author, futurist and keynote speaker. As the Founder & CEO of Awecademy, Raya is one of the world’s leading experts alternative models in education, the future of work and exponential innovation.
She has been featured by the BBC as one of the 100 most influential and inspirational women globally and is a member of the Bett Global Education Council. Raya has been described as a techno-optimist, a communicator of popular science, and an advocate of curiosity, critical thinking, wonder, and awe.
Simon Wilson is currently the CTO for UK and Ireland at Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company.
Sophie is the founder of the iTunes new and noteworthy, The Edtech Podcast. The mission of The Edtech Podcast is to improve the dialogue between ‘ed’ and ‘tech’ for better innovation, through storytelling. The podcast is downloaded from over 145 countries with the UK, US & Aus in the top 3. Sophie has spoken and moderated at a variety of events including SXSW EDU, Yidan Education Prize, ASU GSV Summit, and the Next Billion Edtech Summit. She is an industry mentor and advisor, including to the UCL Knowledge Lab initiative EDUCATE, a Reimagine Education, GESA Awards, Bett Awards and XPrize Adult Literacy judge, and previous Edtech50 and Edtech Digest winner.
Sophie is passionate about lifelong and everyday learning. If she’s not interviewing a University Vice-Chancellor, Edtech Investor, School Leader, or StartUp about education innovation, she’s engrossed in Teach Your Monster to Read or wrestling her lockdown baby. A keen cyclist, she has recently relocated to West Devon which she considers the English version of the Pyrenees. She is very lucky to work with a distributed team on The Edtech Podcast.
Quotes from this week’s episode
References from this week’s episode
- Luciano Meira – LinkedIn
- Luciano Meira – Twitter
- Joy Street – Website
- Joy Street – LinkedIn
- Lemann Centre – Website
- Lemann Centre – Twitter
- Federal University of Pernambuco – Website
- PortoDigital – Website
- PortoDigital – Twitter
- PortoDigital – LinkedIn
- Lemann Foundation Brazil – Website
- Lemann Foundation Brazil – Twitter
- UN Sustainable Development – Website
- Sir Ken Robinson – Website
- Utopia For Realists – Link
- Rutger Bregman – Website
- Rutger Bregman – Twitter
- Mitchel Resnick – Twitter
- MIT Media Lab – Website
- MIT Media Lab – Twitter
- Paulo Bilkstein – Twitter
- Paulo Bilkstein – Books
- Teachers College, Columbia University NY – Website
- Teachers College, Columbia University NY – Twitter
- Teachers College, Columbia University NY – LinkedIn
- AnimaEducation – Website
- Challenge Based Learning – Further Info/Website
- Didactic Method – Article/Paper
- Didactic Method – Article/Paper
- Samson Tan – LinkedIn
- National Institute of Education Singapore (NIE) – website
- Centre for Innovation and Learning at National Institute of Education in Singapore – NIE website
- National Institute of Education Singapore (NIE) – YouTube
- Office of Education Research, NIE – NIE website
- PAN-PBL: Association of Problem-Based Learning and Active Learning Methodologies – website (Samson is a member)
- Educational Research Association of Singapore – website (Samson is a member)
- Human-centred design approach – explanation
- Chatbot – explanation
- Google Suite – product details via Google
- Professor George Siemen, Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age – link to publication
- APIs – explanation
- Microlearning – explanation
- Preparing for Education 4.0 – article via THE
- What is Industry 4.0? Here’s A Super Easy Explanation For Anyone – Forbes article, Sept 2018
- 21st Century Core Competency – Singapore (1997)
- Principles for Educating Teachers for the 21st Century – 2018
- Diffusion of innovations – explanation
- Raya Bidshahri – Website
- Raya Bidshahri – LinkedIn
- Raya Bidshahri – Twitter
- Awecademy – Website
- Awecademy – Twitter
- SciFest Dubai – Website
- SciFest Dubai – Twitter
- How To Bring The Core To The Edge – Potential article on edge innovation
- What Is Exponential Technology – Article
- Tools Of A System Thinker – System thinking article (Medium)
- Exponential Organisations – Book (Amazon)
- Salim Ismail – Website
- Salim Ismail – Twitter
- Marc Prensky – Website
- Marc Prensky – Twitter
- Tony Wagner – Website
- Tony Wagner – Twitter
- Tony Wagner, Creating Innovators – Book (Amazon)
- Rohan Roberts – Website
- Rohan Roberts – LinkedIn
- Rohan Roberts – Twitter
- Rohan Roberts, Cosmic Citizens and Moonshot Thinking – Book (Amazon)
- Simon Wilson – LinkedIn
- Simon Wilson – Twitter
- Investing In Flexibility For The Long Term – Aruba blog post by Simon
- Aruba Networks – Website
- Aruba Networks – Twitter
- Aruba Networks – LinkedIn
- HPE – Website
- HPE – Twitter
- HPE – LinkedIn
- Keerti Melkote – Aruba Founder, HPE Profile
- Keerti Melkote – Twitter
- Keerti Melkote – LinkedIn
- Croydon College – Website (Simon’s College)
- Gartner – Website
- Gartner’s Magic Quadrant Methodology – Website
- Reimagining the Office and Work-Life After Covid19 – Article related to remote office solutions
- Remote Work Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic – Article related to remote office solutions
- Video Conference Technology Trends of 2020 – Article on latest video conference trends
- Top Hat – Virtual Classroom Example
- The Future of The Virtual Classroom – Short read virtual classroom article
- What You Need To Know About Wifi 6 – HP article on WiFi 6
- What Impact Will Location-Based Services Have On Retailers – Article on LBS in retail
- Zero Trust Network Security – Aruba network security
- Securing The Enterprise – Aruba network security
- Emerging Security Technologies – TechBeacon article
- The 22 Immutable Laws Of Marketing – Book (amazon)
- Ries – Website (a consulting company run by Laura Ries and Al Ries)
- Trout And Partners – Website (Jack Trout’s consultancy firm
Thank you to Aruba for supporting this episode
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company, is the global leader in secure, intelligent edge-to-cloud networking solutions that use AI to automate the network, while harnessing data to drive powerful business outcomes. With Aruba ESP (Edge Services Platform) and as-a-service options, Aruba takes a cloud-native approach to helping customers meet their connectivity, security, and financial requirements across campus, branch, data center, and remote worker environments, covering all aspects of wired, wireless LAN, and wide area networking (WAN).
To learn more, visit Aruba at www.arubanetworks.com. For real-time news updates, follow Aruba on Twitter and Facebook, and for the latest technical discussions on mobility and Aruba products, visit the Airheads Community at community.arubanetworks.com.
Thanks also to Bett for supporting the What Matters in Edtech GLOBAL series
Bett is the global meeting place for the education community. A trusted brand with more than 30 years of heritage, the Bett series promotes the discovery of knowledge and technology to enhance lifelong learning. The Bett series attracts over 60,000 educators, leaders and practitioners alongside more than 1,255+ technology providers from around the globe. For more information go to https://www.bettshow.com/bett-global-series
Tell us where you are listening in from
We’d love to hear about innovative technology or approaches you are developing or using in adult education. Leave your stories in the comments below. Alternatively, record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe for inclusion in the next episode. Finally, you can post your thoughts or follow-on links via twitter @podcastedtech or via The Edtech Podcast Facebook page.