#207 – Campus reopening: how to support your institution and students
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn
What’s in this episode?
COVID-19 has had a huge impact on the student experience. This first episode in the second season of our “The Edge” series, supported by Salesforce.Org, is all about the campus reopening and how to best support both the institution and students during this time.
Four guests share ideas around contact tracing, wellbeing, hybrid teaching and learning, and innovative student experience. Expect synchronous student cooking classes with a Michelin star chef, musings on student numbers and a changed admissions landscape, and technology investments made to support students and faculty long-term.
Ghazwa is a chartered civil and structural engineer with 31 years’ experience in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. She has held Project Directorship roles at BAA, the Prince’s Foundation and the NHS and has been a board-level director for the last 17 years. Ghaz joined HE as Director of Estates and Campus Services at the University of Roehampton where she implemented the University’s extensive capital programme.
Ghaz is currently Pro Vice-Chancellor Strategy Planning and Partnerships and Director of Property and Facilities Management at the University of London. In this role she leads for the University of London on strategy development, planning office, risk and audit, strategic communications and Marketing as well as Governance and legal services. In relation to estates, she is responsible for strategic asset management for the University’s portfolio of property assets in Bloomsbury. She is also responsible for estates maintenance and services management across the University’s academic and residential buildings.
Ghaz was a member of the Oversight Panel for the UUK’s Diamond II review of efficiency and effectiveness in HE and the lead for the work stream focussing on space efficiency in UK HE. She has non-executive director experience at Notting Hill Housing Association and at Regent’s University – London, and has served as a school governor. Ghaz chaired the London Region of AUDE for 4 years and is the current Chair of the Higher Education Design Quality Forum.
Santiago Iñiguez de Onzoño is the President of IE University and a recognized influencer in global higher education. He was the first recipient (2019) of the Founders Award by Thinkers50, the prestigious global ranking of thoughtful leaders in Management.
Iñiguez serves on the boards of Headspring, a joint venture between IE Business School and the Financial Times, offering custom programs for companies, as well as on the boards of EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development), Renmin University Business School (China), Antai Business School (Jiao Tong University, China), LUISS Business School (Italy), Mazars University (France), the Russian Presidential Academy (RANEPA, Russia), and FGV-EASP Fundaçao Getulio Vargas (Brazil). He is a past Chair of the Board of AACSB, the global association of business schools.
Iniguez is the former Dean of IE Business School and has played a leading role in business education. He was portrayed by the Financial Times as “one of the most significant figures in promoting European business schools internationally”. He was the first European appointed as “Dean of the Year” by Poets & Quants (2017).
He is the author of “The Learning Curve: How Business Schools Are Reinventing Education” (2011), “Cosmopolitan Managers: Executive Education That Works” (2016), and “In An Ideal Business: How the Ideas of 10 Female Philosophers bring value to the Workplace” (2020), as well as co-editor of “Business Despite Borders: Companies in the Age of Populist Anti-Globalization” (2018), all published by Palgrave Macmillan (Springer).
Iniguez is a regular speaker at international conferences and frequently contributes in different journals and media on higher education and executive development. He is one of the 500 Global LinkedIn Influencers and in 2019 has been recognized as the leading Spanish influencer in Management by the Mexican magazine Entrepreneur.
Iniguez is Professor of Strategic Management. He holds a Degree in Law, a Ph.D. in Moral Philosophy and Jurisprudence (Complutense University, Spain) and an MBA from IE Business School. He was a Recognized Student at the University of Oxford, UK.
Geshri believes that access to a meaningful education can open doors, improve the quality of our workforce and propel societies forward. She is passionate about using her diverse analytical experiences to build a company that wants to have a real social impact. Geshri’s background includes roles in K-20+ Strategy and Industry Management, Business Development, Product Management, Operations, Sales, Sales Training and Product Development. She brings a variety of EdTech business experiences to the table, including working directly with clients, internal stakeholders and senior leadership, all of which are supplemented by top tier formal undergraduate and graduate educations.
Geshri is known for being a thought leader, an analytical mind, a collaborative team player and an excellent communicator.
Sophie Bailey is the Founder and Presenter of The Edtech Podcast | Twitter: @podcastedtech
Sophie is the founder of the iTunes new and noteworthy, The Edtech Podcast. The mission of The Edtech Podcast is to improve the dialogue between ‘ed’ and ‘tech’ for better innovation, through storytelling. The podcast is downloaded from over 145 countries with the UK, US & Aus in the top 3. Sophie has spoken and moderated at a variety of events including SXSW EDU, Yidan Education Prize, ASU GSV Summit, and the Next Billion Edtech Summit. She is an industry mentor and advisor, including to the UCL Knowledge Lab initiative EDUCATE, a Reimagine Education, GESA Awards, Bett Awards and XPrize Adult Literacy judge, and previous Edtech50 and Edtech Digest winner. Sophie is passionate about lifelong and everyday learning.
Dhawal is the CEO of Class Central, the #1 search engine and review sites for online courses and MOOCs. He has completed over a dozen MOOCs and has written over 200 articles about the MOOC space, including contributions to TechCrunch, EdSurge, and VentureBeat.
Thank you to the Salesforce.Org
Salesforce.org is the social impact centre of Salesforce focused on partnering with the global community of change-makers. They provide access to powerful technology that empowers changemakers to build a better world. Salesforce.org’s Education Cloud gives Higher Education institutions a single, shared view of students, alumni and staff in an integrated CRM platform to create personalised experiences at scale – transforming learner engagements into lifelong relationships.
Quotes from this episode
- Salesforce.org Guide for Universities, on Reopening Your Campus Safely
- Clips used in this episode to “set the scene” of HigherEd in 2020;
- Audio of U.K Student protests over A-Level exam results in 2020, YouTube
- WHO director-general Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announcing COVID-19 as a pandemic on 11 March 2020
- CBS Boston report, Trump administration reverses policy on international students studying in the U.S, YouTube
- HEPI & select committee webinars with Michelle Donelan MP, Minister for Universities
- FOX News Clip, Harvard says all classes will remain online for the next academic year, Jul 6, 2020, Youtube
- The Edge Series, Season One – Link to previous episodes on The Edtech Podcast website
- McKinsey report, COVID-19 and US higher education enrollment
- UCAS COO writing for WONKHE – article link
- Dr Ghazwa Alwani-Starr – LinkedIn
- Dr Ghazwa Alwani-Starr – Twitter
- Santiago Iñiguez de Onzoño – LinkedIn
- Santiago Iñiguez de Onzoño – Twitter
- IE University – website
- Welcome to the WOW Room at IE Business School – YouTube video link
- Virtual graduation ceremony featuring;
- Grammy-nominated Top DJ and producer DJ Steve Aoki, Will perform a live music concert for over 7,000 IE University students from 140 countries
- Three-star Michelin chef Dani García, will give IE University students a live cooking class for a special graduation dinner
- Dr. Mario Alonso Puig, President of the IE University Center for Health, Wellbeing and Happiness will host a session on mindfulness
- An exclusive Fortnite Tournament for students
- A virtual Escape Room where students’ ingenuity and intelligence will be put to the test
- European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) – website, homepage
- American and Global Association of Business Schools (AACSB) – website, homepage
- IE University Values – website, values page
- IE showcases it’s first every hybrid venture day – article via IE University
- Universities around the World Sign Joint Statement to Promote Mobility in Higher Education – IE University website
- IE University Opens Online Training Hub in Response to COVID-19 – website
- Best University in Spain, Times Higher Education Global Employability Ranking, 2019 – Times Higher Education
- Martha Nussbaur – American Philosopher
- Geshri Gunasekera – LinkedIn
- Geshri Gunasekera – Twitter
- Salesforce.Org – website
- Salesforce.Org – Twitter
- Brad Schleicher – LinkedIn
- University of Kentucky – website
- University of Kentucky – Twitter
- London School of Economics – website
- London School of Economics – Twitter
- Work.com – Salesforce work solutions website page
- University of London – website
- University of London – Twitter
- Student Central – website
- Student Central – Twitter
- School of Advanced Study – website
- School of Advanced Study – Twitter
- Uol at the movies – Instagram # link
- Senate House Screen – link to website page on the University of London website
- Zoom – Twitter
- Microsoft Teams – website link
- Skype – Twitter
Tell us where you are listening in from
We’d love to hear about innovative technology or approaches you are developing or using in adult education. Leave your stories in the comments below. Alternately, record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe for inclusion in the next episode. Finally, you can post your thoughts or follow-on links via twitter @podcastedtech or via The Edtech Podcast Facebook page.