#68 – Investment, start ups and accelerators
- Thank you to this week’s sponsors Japan Prize 2017 Glisser Edu and ClassCentral!
- Please check out our Patreon campaign launch and our Listener Survey.
- The Edtech Podcast is an official co-chair of London Edtech Week. Register for our LIVE podcast on Monday 19th June, in collaboration with Nesta on Is Edtech a Thing
- We are at ASU GSV and Katapult Tech this week
What’s in this episode?
- We’re talking about: Where is money currently being invested into edtech? What are the various accelerators/incubators focusing on and why? How does edtech differ from Vietnam to Israel to Japan to the USA?
Introduction and recording with the Japan Prize 1-9.00. Enter The Japan Prize Edu Resources – it’s free and you might get flown to Tokyo! (more details below).
- Interviews with Matt Candler, Founder + CEO, 4.0 Schools
Chian Gong, Investor, Reach Capital
Phil Kim, Co-Founder, Michelson Runway EdTech Accelerator | President, The Michelson 20MM Foundation
Mayra Lombera, Director, Strategic Initiatives, The Michelson 20MM Foundation
Avi Warshavsky, CEO at MindCET
Tomoko Haneda, Afrel Co. , Ltd. on behalf of Edtech Japan
T.T. Nguyen Duc, VC, Pearson Affordable Learning Fund
How do you measure an idea when it’s in that early phase?
A lot of that capital exists in fairly old school publishers which are very much incentivised to continue in the existing system.
I believe in the power of students as teachers.
We’re really thinking about getting students from cradle to college
There were definitely moments where school wasn’t that great for me.
As an alternative to student debt, we could invest in the future of students through an equity vehicle.
We are putting together an investors table or fund, investing in start ups in Israel and the UK
The You Tubers are the new teachers. They are like rockstars.
Messages from The Edtech Podcast:
We need YOUR Help! Check out
1. Our Patreon campaign – help support the independent Edtech Podcast
2. Our listener form – we’d love to get to know what you want more of!
- Enter The Japan Prize: The Japan Prize Edu Resources
- The Edtech Podcast at London Edtech Week
- ASU GSV Summit: https://twitter.com/asugsvsummit
- Matt Candler https://twitter.com/mcandler
- 4.0 Schools https://twitter.com/4pt0schools
- Chian Gong: https://twitter.com/ChianChirps
- Reach Capital: https://twitter.com/reachfund
- Phil Kim, Co-Founder, Michelson Runway EdTech Accelerator: https://twitter.com/MichelsonRunway
- President, The Michelson 20MM Foundation: https://twitter.com/Michelson20mm
- Mayra Lombera, Director, Strategic Initiatives, The Michelson 20MM Foundation: https://twitter.com/Mayra_Lombera
- Avi Warshavsky: https://twitter.com/aviwarshavsky
- CEO at MindCET:https://twitter.com/MindCET
- Tomoko Haneda: https://twitter.com/tropicana_ave
- Afrel Co. , Ltd. on behalf of Edtech Japan: https://twitter.com/EdTech_Japan
- T.T. Nguyen Duc: https://twitter.com/ttnguyenduc
- VC, Pearson Affordable Learning Fund: https://twitter.com/AffordableLearn
- Walton family foundation: https://twitter.com/WaltonFamilyFdn
- Kauffman foundation: https://twitter.com/KauffmanFDN
- Gates Foundation: https://twitter.com/gatesfoundation
- Patrick Taylor foundation: http://www.pftaylorfoundation.org/
- The Booth-Bricker Fund
- Lisa Delpit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Delpit
- Stephen Johnson Where good ideas come from
- Green Tech Media, The Energy Gang: https://www.greentechmedia.com/podcast/the-energy-gang
- Nearpod: https://twitter.com/nearpod
- New Schools Venture Fund: https://twitter.com/nsvf
- Dreamit: https://twitter.com/dreamit
- LearnLaunch: https://twitter.com/LearnLaunch
- Intel: https://twitter.com/IntelEDU
- Newsela: https://twitter.com/Newsela
- ClassDojo: https://twitter.com/ClassDojo
- Edsurge: https://twitter.com/EdSurge
- School mint: https://twitter.com/school_mint
- Rice University: https://twitter.com/RiceUniversity
- Hewlett foundation: https://twitter.com/Hewlett_Found
- University Ventures Fund: https://twitter.com/UniVenturesFund
- Pearson: https://twitter.com/pearson
- McGraw-Hill: https://twitter.com/MHEducation
- Pets: https://twitter.com/pets4ok
- Primo Toys: https://twitter.com/primotoys
- The Edtech Podcast Spring Playlist!
- Message from Class Central
- Message from Glisser Edu
Thank you to this week’s sponsors!
Enter The Japan Prize 2017!…
Submit your best work to inspire the future of learning. The JAPAN PRIZE is hosted by Japan’s public broadcaster, NHK. The Contest is the world’s only international competition that focuses solely on educational media. These may include games, apps, websites, and films.During the final selection in Tokyo in October, there are contents screenings and exhibition, a creators’ workshop, and a professional conference. All these events aim to explore how innovation in media can impact the future of education. For more information and entry forms please visit our website: www.nhk.or.jp/jp-prize/ The deadline for entries is June 30th 2017. You can also check them out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
Next up, a word from ClassCentral which if you’re into geeking out over online learning and MOOC reports like I am you’ll probably already know about!
This is an easy one for me as I regularly use Glisser at events because I frankly find it a bit WEIRD when there are people staring at you but you ignore them! Glisser is an audience engagement platform, and they also have an education offer for socialising lectures where they take regular PowerPoint or Keynote presentations and push each slide out live to student’s mobile devices as they are presented. Professors, administrators and students get valuable data on where information is really engaging, or needs reworking and staff and students can interact through the deck. You can check them out at https://www.glisser.com/student-engagement/
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
‘I am both a listener and a past interviewee on The Edtech Podcast and I can’t recommend it highly enough: it’s an excellent resource.’
Prof. Rose Luckin, Professor of Learner Centred Design, UCL Knowledge Lab – photo in past guests folder
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by downloading the anchor app for free and recording a quick comment. You can then forward this to The Edtech Podcast anchor account or via twitter to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project:
Get in contact with me about how I work independently.
The Edtech Podcast will be out at ASU GSV Summit, recording interviews and with an ear to the ground. Registration still open via:
SXSWedu® Conference & Festival
More from SXSWedu in a few weeks.
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Bett is your annual opportunity to experiment with the latest education technology, hear from inspirational figures and experts in the industry and meet your peers from far and wide (as in literally from classrooms around the world).Read more and register here: For more information contact email@example.com
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe’s largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/