#69 – Relationships, Relevance, Rigour in School Reform
- Thank you to this week’s sponsors Japan Prize 2017Glisser Edu and ClassCentral!
- Please check out our Patreon campaign launch and our Listener Survey.
- The Edtech Podcast is an official co-chair of London Edtech Week. Register for our LIVE podcast on Monday 19th June, in collaboration with Nesta on Is Edtech a Thing
What’s in this episode?
- Intro 0 – 8.30, weekly shout outs via We are at ASU GSV and Katapult Tech this week ASU GSV and Katapult Tech and Japan Prize (The Japan Prize Edu Resources – it’s free and you might get flown to Tokyo! (more details below)) this week
- Interview with Ted Fujimoto, President, Landmark Consulting Group, Co-Chair of Right To Succeed talking about:
How do you scale innovation?
What’s wrong with most schools?
Why is charter school vs. district school the wrong argument?
What’s the chronology for success?
Why is music so exciting for learning?
We’re obsessed about the biology of engagement
I launched Landmark in my freshman year in college and by the time I graduated i employed almost 30 employees.
It’s about looking for holes.
The highest performing schools put relationships first.
There is so much edtech… I would say a lot of it is very poorly designed.
It’s like a community of one star motels trying to be a five star hotel without having ever been to one
I’ve probably visited about 3000 charter schools.’
We have invested, Through my clients, over a $1bn dollars in innovative school spaces and real estate
People are so obsessed with coding. Coding, i’m afraid, is going to be the keyboarding classes that we had.
Messages from The Edtech Podcast:
We need YOUR Help! Check out
1. Our Patreon campaign – help support the independent Edtech Podcast
2. Our listener form – we’d love to get to know what you want more of!
- Enter The Japan Prize: The Japan Prize Edu Resources
- The Edtech Podcast at London Edtech Week
- ASU GSV Summit: https://twitter.com/asugsvsummit
- Ted Fujimoto: https://twitter.com/tedfujimoto
- Oracle Academy: https://twitter.com/oracleacademy
- XPRIZE: https://twitter.com/xprize
- Stephen Heppell: https://twitter.com/stephenheppell
- Studytracks: https://twitter.com/study_tracks
- Right to succeed: https://twitter.com/righttosucceed
- Landmark Consulting Group: https://twitter.com/ConsultLandmark
- American Dream Schools: https://twitter.com/USADreamSchools
- New Tech Network: https://twitter.com/NewTechNetwork
- Deeper Learning: https://twitter.com/deeperlearning
- Erwin Van Lun (CEO chatbots.org) https://twitter.com/erwinvanlun
- Chatbots.org: https://twitter.com/chatbots
- Singularity University: https://twitter.com/singularityu
- Big Picture Schools: http://www.bigpicture.org/
- Geir – Edtech Foundry https://twitter.com/geirsand
- Mobile World Congress: https://twitter.com/GSMA
- Time Magazine: https://twitter.com/TIME
- Ray Kurzweil: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Kurzweil
- Salesforce dude: https://twitter.com/ValaAfshar
- Roland Music: https://twitter.com/Roland_UK
- Yo Yo Ma: https://twitter.com/yoyo_ma
- Ivor Novello: https://twitter.com/TheIvors
- Imogen Heap: https://twitter.com/imogenheap
- Bett: https://twitter.com/Bett_show
- Now Press Play: https://twitter.com/nowpressplay
- New Wave Foundation: https://twitter.com/NWFoundation_
- Desert Trip: https://twitter.com/DesertTripIndio
- Paul McCartney: https://twitter.com/PaulMcCartney
- Rolling Stones: https://twitter.com/RollingStones
- Rihanna: https://twitter.com/rihanna
- The Edtech Podcast Spring Playlist!
- Message from Class Central
- Message from Glisser Edu
Thank you to this week’s sponsors!
Enter The Japan Prize 2017!…
Submit your best work to inspire the future of learning. The JAPAN PRIZE is hosted by Japan’s public broadcaster, NHK. The Contest is the world’s only international competition that focuses solely on educational media. These may include games, apps, websites, and films.During the final selection in Tokyo in October, there are contents screenings and exhibition, a creators’ workshop, and a professional conference. All these events aim to explore how innovation in media can impact the future of education. For more information and entry forms please visit our website: www.nhk.or.jp/jp-prize/ The deadline for entries is June 30th 2017. You can also check them out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
Next up, a word from ClassCentral which if you’re into geeking out over online learning and MOOC reports like I am you’ll probably already know about!
This is an easy one for me as I regularly use Glisser at events because I frankly find it a bit WEIRD when there are people staring at you but you ignore them! Glisser is an audience engagement platform, and they also have an education offer for socialising lectures where they take regular PowerPoint or Keynote presentations and push each slide out live to student’s mobile devices as they are presented. Professors, administrators and students get valuable data on where information is really engaging, or needs reworking and staff and students can interact through the deck. You can check them out at https://www.glisser.com/student-engagement/
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
‘I am both a listener and a past interviewee on The Edtech Podcast and I can’t recommend it highly enough: it’s an excellent resource.’
Prof. Rose Luckin,Professor of Learner Centred Design, UCL Knowledge Lab – photo in past guests folder
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by downloading the anchor app for free and recording a quick comment. You can then forward this to The Edtech Podcast anchor account or via twitter to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project:
Get in contact with me about how I work independently.
The Edtech Podcast will be out at ASU GSV Summit, recording interviews and with an ear to the ground. Registration still open via:
SXSWedu® Conference & Festival
More from SXSWedu in a few weeks.
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Bett is your annual opportunity to experiment with the latest education technology, hear from inspirational figures and experts in the industry and meet your peers from far and wide (as in literally from classrooms around the world).Read more and register here: For more information contact email@example.com
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe’s largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/