#27 with Prof. Rose Luckin, UCL Knowledge Lab – on the importance, or not, of efficacy
On efficacy, personalised learning, AI and a new EdTech accelerator
Subscribe to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢 – http://eepurl.com/cgjMkX
What’s in this episode?
- Intro (0-3.33)
- Interview with Prof. Rose Luckin (3.33)
- Prof. Rose Luckin’s journey into academia
- Luckin’s thoughts on grammar schools and equal access to academic opportunity and careers
- Prof. Rose Luckin’s time studying AI at the University of Sussex
- Can efficacy ever be pinpointed, given all attributing factors to learning success?
- What is and what isn’t personalised learning and AI?
- Why Prof. Rose Luckin does not believe in Kurzweil’s singularity
- Impact of Brexit on higher education research
- Comparison of EU and rest of world in appetite for education innovation approaches
- Announcement of a new EdTech accelerator to aid research studies for start-ups, pending budget approval
- What connects me, Prof. Rose Luckin, Radiohead and the University of Sussex??
ON PERSONALISED LEARNING: ‘We, as a community of researchers, have not been good at recording some of the very valuable contextual data.’
‘I think it’s potentially really exciting what we could do with learning analytics; i don’t think its exciting at the moment in the main.’
‘A lot of things described as learner analytics are data analytics’
ON DATA: ‘People are a little bit rabbit in the headlines at the moment.’
ON EU: ’We get a significant percentage of our funding from the european union.’
‘We want to work with our European Colleagues as we have a long history of working with them.’
‘We have to think about it very carefully. It is a worry.’
‘I think there are some problems with people’s perceptions of what robotics might do.’
‘I think the future will be one where we work alongside artificially intelligent partners.’
Links and further reading:
Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast Weekly: http://eepurl.com/cgjMkX #EDTECHPOD
Connect with Dr Rose Luckin: https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=RLUCK37
McGraw-Hill Education http://www.mheducation.co.uk/
David Levin: https://www.mheducation.com/about/david-levin
Edtech X: http://edtechxeurope.com/
NESTA, Decoded Learning: http://www.nesta.org.uk/publications/decoding-learning
Audrey Waters: https://medium.com/enabling-connected-learning/accountability-calling-education-to-a-count-6ac173b44194#.ctc8xv4yc
Lewis Johnson, Alelo: https://www.alelo.com/about-us/
Aaron Sloman, Sussex Uni AI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Sloman
Emerge Education Open Day 27th Sept https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/accelerator-open-day-tickets-27538533495
Welcome to sponsors
Firefly Learning, fireflylearning.com
Thank you to partners
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Register now for the event on the 8-9 November!
1. JOIN IN A #BETTCHAT AT 4.30PM UK TIME TUE 27TH on personalised learning
2. SUBMIT YOUR QS TO THE EDTECH PODCAST LIVE VIA #EDTECHPOD
3. APPLY FOR A FREE 1/2 DAY WORKSHOP ON LEARNER UX; Email email@example.com to put your name in the hat