#24 BONUS PODCAST with Kirsty Tonks, Principal Designate at Shireland Technology Primary School – ‘Immersive Room and School Walk About’
‘Flipped learning and launching a new tech school’
Tweet us https://twitter.com/PodcastEdtech
Be our FB friend and leave a voicemail via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/The-Edtech-Podcast-552680798233211/
Subscribe on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-edtech-podcast/id1107282759?mt=2
What’s in this episode?
Please note this is a rough-cut bonus podcast. The audio quality is not as stable as usual. But, given the insights around the use of technology in lesson planning and delivery it seemed only fair to share with you all!
- School walk about through Shireland Academy with Kirsty Tonks, Principal Designate at Shireland Technology Primary School, UK ( a new ‘flipped classroom’ primary opening in 2018)
- Visit to the Immersive Room – a 10m wrap wall for video projection and scent technology to engage students, teachers and parents in learning
- The merits of internal content creation vs. ‘off the shelf’ teacher resources and why there is a place for both
- How to use technology to engage students in HG Wells, Da Vinci, & Endangered Species
- How can technology share the arts with all students?
- Transition projects for 11 year olds on building websites, and creating animations
- An anecdote from Kirsty Tonks involving Prince Andrew and scent technology ‘Blitz Bunker’!
- Franchising school themes after 7/8 years of development
- Why every Shireland school takes Design GCSE
- Using One Notes and Office 365 to deliver school process, lesson planning and delivery
- The Immersive Room, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfaPGqibL6c
- National Theatre Live, http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/
- TES Resources, https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources
- Google Earth, https://www.google.co.uk/earth/
- Air Pano, http://www.airpano.com/
- Gi Fernando, https://www.linkedin.com/in/gifernando
- Merlin John, https://twitter.com/merlinjohn?lang=en-gb
Loughborough University London to host The Edtech Podcast Launch Party!
Delighted to announce the venue will be Loughborough University London.
Last few educator tickets available via eventbrite.
Loughborough University is ranked as a top 10 university for research excellence, with almost 66% of the work of Loughborough’s academic staff judged as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. This year Loughborough University topped the Times Higher Education Student Satisfaction survey; an interview focusing on Loughborough Universities UX strategy was released on episode 10 of The Edtech Podcast.
The Loughborough London campus opened 6 months ago and the course focus on Design Innovation, Digital Technologies, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship, and Media and Creative Industries make it a perfect fit for the communities involved in education technology.