#23 with Kirsty Tonks, Principal Designate at Shireland Technology Primary School – ‘Flipped learning and a new tech school’
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
‘Flipped learning and launching a new tech school’
Tweet us https://twitter.com/PodcastEdtech
Be our FB friend and leave a voicemail via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/The-Edtech-Podcast-552680798233211/
Subscribe on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-edtech-podcast/id1107282759?mt=2
What’s in this episode?
- Intro, what’s in this week’s episode, new venue for the launch party, and other news items
- Interview with Kirsty Tonks, Principal Designate at Shireland Technology Primary School, UK ( a new ‘flipped classroom’ primary opening in 2018)
- Kirsty Tonks own journey over 22 years of working in education; how the ubiquity of tech has made explaining the benefits to teachers, parents and students easier
- Roadmap for the Shireland Technology Primary School, UK ( a new ‘flipped classroom’ primary opening in 2018)
- How Shireland believes in ‘using technology in a mundanely clever way’
- How to use audio and video feedback to halve teacher marking times
- How to create a school ethos to create ‘smart creatives’ of the future able to select tools appropriately for each task
- The questions to ask before purchasing tech
- Why sustainable change towards innovation has to be systemic, not just based on a few
- The opportunities of being an academy or free school
- How ITT trainers can provide better teacher training
- How to create an expectation around using impactful tech methodologies in the classroom and to save time in school processes
- Kirsty’s desire to see a broader curriculum with innovation across all subjects not just ‘computing’
- Working with Sir Mark Grundy, and the history of tech in education
- What’s Maths Flip and how can it help with the ‘efficacy’ of tech for education?
- Kirsty Tonks’ Summer Reading list
- ON TECH:
- it isn’t the tech itself but the impact it could have
- my philosophy has always been if i can do it again body can do it
- we talk at Shireland about using technology in a mundanely clever way..
- ON OPENING AN ENTIRELY NEW FLIPPED PRIMARY SCHOOL:
- it’s exciting because it’s a blank piece of paper, but it’s terrifying because it’s a blank piece of paper as well
- ‘if there is anyone in the west midlands area who’s interested in being a smart creative then please do make contact.
- ‘we want technology to underpin all aspects of learning not just a pigeon hole of computing.’
- MESSAGE TO ITT PROVIDERS:
- from a teacher training perspective i still think there is a way to go
- don’t focus on the sexy bits
- GETTING TEACHERS ON BOARD:
- ‘it’s about having that conviction’
- ‘for sustainable change it has to be systemic, not just about a few creative teachers.’
- FOR THOSE PROCURING TECH:
- What’s going to make the most impact with the least investment?
- Test things first in the classroom
- Kirsty Tonks, https://www.linkedin.com/in/kirsty-tonks-b3a3621a Shireland Technology Primary School, http://www.thelearningbank.co.uk/shireland/HighTechPrimary/HighTechPrimary.htm
- Flipped Learning Explanation, http://www.nesta.org.uk/blog/flipping-learning-schools
- Education Endowment Foundation Toolkit, https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/evidence/teaching-learning-toolkit
- Alan November, http://novemberlearning.com/educational-services/educational-consultants/alan-november/
- SSAT, https://www.ssatuk.co.uk/ and Bett, http://www.bettshow.com/
- Estelle Morris, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelle_Morris
- Sir Mark Grundy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Grundy
- Maths Flip, https://twitter.com/mathsflip
- Andy Buck, Leadership Matters, http://www.johncattbookshop.com/leadership-matters-how-leaders-at-all-levels-can-create-great-schools
- Andrew Morrish, The Art of Standing Out, http://www.johncattbookshop.com/the-art-of-standing-out-transforming-your-school-to-outstanding-and-beyond
- The Girl on The Train, Paula Hawkins, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Train-Paula-Hawkins/dp/0857522310
- Jon Bergmann, http://jonbergmann.com/
- FlipconUK, http://flipconuk.co.uk/
Loughborough University London to host The Edtech Podcast Launch Party!
Delighted to announce the venue will be Loughborough University London.
Last few educator tickets available via eventbrite.
Loughborough University is ranked as a top 10 university for research excellence, with almost 66% of the work of Loughborough’s academic staff judged as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. This year Loughborough University topped the Times Higher Education Student Satisfaction survey; an interview focusing on Loughborough Universities UX strategy was released on episode 10 of The Edtech Podcast.
The Loughborough London campus opened 6 months ago and the course focus on Design Innovation, Digital Technologies, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship, and Media and Creative Industries make it a perfect fit for the communities involved in education technology.