#215 – VocTech in the Criminal Justice System
What’s in this episode?
This episode was part of Ufi VocTech Trust’s ‘Week of VocTech’. Ufi champions the power of technology to improve skills for work. They do this through various grantees and investments, and more recently through funding specifically to ensure the continuity of vocational learning in response to COVID.
Various guests on this episode tell us about some of the projects Ufi Voctech Trust have been supporting that are involved in vocational education across the criminal justice system.
You’ll hear about:
- Providing access to learning environments
- Tailoring and adapting learning
- Assessing learning
- Creating employment opportunities
Follow the conversation using #VocTechPodcast and #WeekOfVocTech.
- Patrick Dunn, Project Account Manager, Ufi VocTech Trust | Twitter: @UfiTrust
- Daniel Brown, Director, Meganexus | Twitter: @Meganexus_Ltd
- Lee Tavinder, NIACRO | Twitter: @LeeTav
- Kate Russell, Senior Practitioner, NIACRO | Twitter: @niacro
- Nuala Trainor, Project Manager, Sentireal | Twitter: @nualatrainor1
- Sarah Cox, Director of Enterprise & Leadership Programmes at MyBE Awards | Twitter: @mybe_awards_ltd
- David Hore, Co-Founder & CEO / CTO, Fluence | Twitter: @DavidHore
- Cameron Holloway, Content Manager, Socrates Software | Twitter: @cameron8172
Sophie is the founder of the iTunes new and noteworthy, The Edtech Podcast. The mission of The Edtech Podcast is to improve the dialogue between ‘ed’ and ‘tech’ for better innovation, through storytelling. The podcast is downloaded from over 145 countries with the UK, US & Aus in the top 3. Sophie has spoken and moderated at a variety of events including SXSW EDU, Yidan Education Prize, ASU GSV Summit, and the Next Billion Edtech Summit. She is an industry mentor and advisor, including to the UCL Knowledge Lab initiative EDUCATE, a Reimagine Education, GESA Awards, Bett Awards and XPrize Adult Literacy judge, and previous Edtech50 and Edtech Digest winner.
Sophie is passionate about lifelong and everyday learning. If she’s not interviewing a University Vice-Chancellor, Edtech Investor, School Leader, or StartUp about education innovation, she’s engrossed in Teach Your Monster to Read or wrestling her lockdown baby. A keen cyclist, she has recently relocated to West Devon which she considers the English version of the Pyrenees. She is very lucky to work with a distributed team on The Edtech Podcast.
Quotes from this episode
References from this week’s episode
- Ufi Voctech Trust – Website, homepage
- Ufi Voctech – Twitter
- Ufi Voctech Trust – LinkedIn
- Ufi Week of VocTech – Website link
- Catch up on previous episodes of the VocTech Podcast series here – The Edtech Podcast website link
- What’s it really like to be in prison? – Link to Radio 4 series
- Meganexus – Website
- Meganexus – Twitter
- Dan Brown – LinkedIn
- New Futures Network – Twitter
- HMPPS – .gov website
- HMPPS – Twitter
- Niacro – Website
- Niacro – Twitter
- Lee Tavinder – Twitter
- Lee Tavinder – LinkedIn
- Kate Russell – LinkedIn
- Sentireal – Website
- Sentireal – Twitter
- Nuala Trainor – Twitter
- Nuala Trainor – LinkedIn
- CITB Northern Ireland – Website
- CITB Northern Ireland – Twitter
- Digital Change Makers – Website
- Digital Change Makers – Twitter
- MyBE Awards – Website
- MyBE Awards – Twitter
- Sarah Cox – LinkedIn
- Ready Player One – IMDb link
- Fluence – Website
- Fluence – Twitter
- David Hore – LinkedIn
- David Hore – Twitter
- Socrates 360 – Website
- Socrates 360 – Twitter
- Cameron Holloway – LinkedIn
- Cameron Holloway – Twitter
Thank you to the Ufi Voctech Trust
Our aim is to help improve vocational skills in the UK’s workforce by funding digital solutions for vocational learning. We only fund activity that is ‘scalable’ through technology, ie projects that use digital methods to widen access to vocational learning. While digital learning solutions are potentially open to all, we are especially keen to assist digital projects which involve post-school age vocational learners that have failed to be engaged by the education system. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Head of Communications, Ufi Voctech Trust.
Tell us where you are listening in from
We’d love to hear about innovative technology or approaches you are developing or using in adult education. Leave your stories in the comments below. Alternately, record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe for inclusion in the next episode. Finally, you can post your thoughts or follow-on links via twitter @podcastedtech or via The Edtech Podcast Facebook page.