#75 – LIVE podcast from London Edtech Week
Thank you to this week’s sponsor ClassCentral!
What’s in this episode?
- Intro: trends from London Edtech Week
- LIVE podcast:This week’s recording is our LIVE podcast on Is Edtech a Thing? exploring the value of edtech from a financial, educational and opportunity cost point of view. Thrashing out the various nuances in the debate, you’ll hear fromLucy Heady – Impact Director, Investments Team – Nesta
Matt Johnson – Senior Associate – Cooley LLP
Richard Taylor – Angel Edtech Investor
Bukky Yusuf – Secondary Science Teacher, Consultant and Qualified CoachA big shout out to all the people who came along in the UK heatwave, to Nesta for hosting and to Cooley LLP for covering the drinks until booting out time.
- We’re on holibobs in July, watching the TDF and then getting our 2017 2H sponsorship in place. Contact us if you’re interested! firstname.lastname@example.org
‘One thing we know from research is that it’s really really hard to improve learning for children. Affect sizes are tiny across the board.’ – Lucy Heady
‘There’s a lot of interest and concern if a company is free. How are they making money?’ – Matt Johnson
‘The reality is something comes in, something has to go out.’ – Richard Taylor
‘Something which could cut the marking back’ – Bukky Yusuf on what she’d like to see from edtech
- London Edtech Week: https://twitter.com/edtechweekldn
- Lucy Heady, Impact Director, Investments Team – Nesta – https://twitter.com/lucyheady
- Matthew Johnson, Senior Associate – Cooley LLP-https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-johnson-0b607672 https://twitter.com/cooleyllp
- Richard Taylor, Angel Edtech Investor- https://twitter.com/dick_taylor
- Bukky Yusuf, Secondary Science Teacher, Consultant and Qualified- https://twitter.com/rondelle10_b
- Education City-https://twitter.com/EducationCity
- Merlin John- Agent4change https://twitter.com/merlinjohn
- Centre of Procurement Performance – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/centre-of-procurement-performance
- Rocket Fund- https://twitter.com/RocketFundUK
- ResearchED- https://twitter.com/researched1
- Roland G. Fryer-https://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/home
- Horizon 2020-https://twitter.com/EU_H2020
- 2010 Harvard Business Review – https://hbr.org/archive-toc/BR1001
- G Suite- https://twitter.com/gsuite
- Class Dojo-https://twitter.com/ClassDojo
- Clevrbv- https://twitter.com/clevrbv
- Study Ladder- https://twitter.com/studyladder_t
- EdSurge- https://twitter.com/EdSurge
- Edublogs- https://twitter.com/edublogs
- Teachers pay Teachers- https://twitter.com/tptdotcom
- Tes Resources- https://twitter.com/TesResources
- Share My Lesson- https://twitter.com/sharemylesson
- PowerSchool- https://twitter.com/MyPowerSchool
- Moshi Monsters- https://twitter.com/moshimonsters
- OZ- https://twitter.com/ozmusicproducer
- Night ZooKeeper- https://twitter.com/nightzookeeper
- Leg up!- https://twitter.com/legup
- Learning Without Frontiers- https://www.linkedin.com/company/learning-without-frontiers
- Kahoot- https://twitter.com/GetKahoot
- Renaissance Learning -https://twitter.com/renlearn_uk
- Mike Tracano’s blog – http://blogs.worldbank.org/team/michael-trucano
- UKEdChat- https://twitter.com/ukedchat
- Innovate My School-https://twitter.com/InnovateMySchl
- Jay Ashcroft- https://twitter.com/iamjayashcroft
- Navitas Ventures- https://twitter.com/navitasventures
We need YOUR Help! Check out
1. Our Patreon campaign – help support the independent Edtech Podcast
2. Our listener form – we’d love to get to know what you want more of!
Thank you to this week’s sponsor!
Check out the Class Central Mooc Report and More…
Next up, a word from ClassCentral which if you’re into geeking out over online learning and MOOC reports like I am you’ll probably already know about!
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢
We’re placing ads for our second half 2017 schedule.
Contact email@example.com to find out more
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
‘I am both a listener and a past interviewee on The Edtech Podcast and I can’t recommend it highly enough: it’s an excellent resource.’
Prof. Rose Luckin, Professor of Learner Centred Design, UCL Knowledge Lab – photo in past guests folder
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by recording a quick VM for free at speakpipe.com/theedtechpodcast and recording a quick comment. You can also tweet to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project:
Get in contact with me about how I work independently.
The 24th Annual Conference of the Association for Learning Technology, taking place 5-7 September 2017, University of Liverpool, UK, will bring together practitioners, researchers and policy makers from across sectors. Together we will chart the development of Learning Technology from isolated islands of ‘innovation’ to becoming the new norm – and the challenges this entails for staff and learners alike. We will explore how we move from individual innovation to institutional integration at scale.
Website link: https://altc.alt.ac.uk/2017
Check out The Edtech Podcast at ASU GSV Summit 2017 moderating on gaming, neuroscience and impact here.
SXSWedu® Conference & Festival
You can submit your new speaking sessions for 2018 for review now here
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Applications for 2018 speaking are now open here: http://content.bettshow.com
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe’s largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/