#160 – Geographic Lotteries of Learning
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn – and now Google Podcasts!
This week’s episode has been updated! Click the player below…
This week’s episode is sponsored by Salesforce.org. Join The Edtech Podcast at Horizons Paris. Register today at “sfdc.co/HORIZONS2019“ using our special code “EDTECH50 ” to get 50% off the ticket. (More below).
What’s in this episode?
Hello everyone and welcome to The Edtech Podcast!
Thank you for being patient as we took a break over the Summer and prepared for our next season. This week we throwback to a second recording from this year’s WISE Summit in Paris. In this episode you’ll hear from two speakers on the topic of the future of learning, Heidi Harju-Luukkainen, Professor, Nord University and Angel Investor, Khaled Helioui. We look at the impact of genetic disposition and geographic lotteries on learning, on the double edged sword of international rankings, and the problem with coercion as the basis of learning. We explore how to measure impact without creating norms and exclusivity.
Stay in touch and have a great week!
- Sophie Bailey is the Founder and Presenter of The Edtech Podcast | Twitter: @podcastedtech
Prof. Heidi Harju-Luukkainen holds a Ph.D. in education, a special education teacher qualification and a qualification in leadership and management from Finland.
- Khaled Helioui is an active angel investor having backed mission driven startups such as Uber (first European investor), Deliveroo, Student.com, Werlabs, Soldo, Upgraded, Yumi or Bolt
Quotes from this episode
“More than enough right now is just chasing growth at all costs.”“Coercion is the best way to hinder learning.”“We forget that some of the most necessary innovation is not a technology innovation…it is an innovation of a business model, it is an innovation of incentives.”“We need to stop feeding information into students in blocks. It needs to be connected.”“Students with an immigrant background are lagging two years behind students without an immigrant background.
Thanks to Salesforce.org for sponsoring this episode. Get your discount to Horizons Paris below…
- This podcast is sponsored by Salesforce.org
- Salesforce.org is the dedicated team at Salesforce that delivers technology to nonprofits, educational institutions, and philanthropic organisations so they can connect with others and do more good.
- Salesforce.org empowers higher education with its Education Cloud: a set of integrated solutions built on the world’s #1 CRM, developed for the specific needs of the industry and in close collaboration with the community it represents.
- In today’s fast-moving world, leveraging technology is essential to deliver the personalised, proactive and continuous experiences each student expect. But how can institutions embrace digital transformation and how can they leverage technology to improve the student experience, achieve operational excellence and strengthen their relationships with the community they serve?
- With a desire to help the community find answers to these questions, Salesforce.org launched the Higher Ed Summit in the US 8 years ago and has gathered thousands of higher ed professionals to share insights and connect with peers annually ever since. To better serve their growing community of education trailblazers in Europe, the team has launched a regional summit called the Higher Ed Summit Horizons. And this year, Salesforce.org invites every higher ed professional & institution leader to join the ranks in Paris on the 10th of October and be inspired by pioneers in higher ed digital transformation. From building brand awareness, transforming the applicant experience, enhancing student services, building lifelong alumni relationships, or managing change and optimising technology across the campus, you’ll hear from pioneers who have paved the way for the future of higher education and have driven all kinds of innovations at their institutions.
- The Edtech Podcast will be at the event, moderating a panel discussion and conducting interviews. Come join us and have a chat: Register today at “sfdc.co/HORIZONS2019“ using our special code “EDTECH50 ” to get 50% off the ticket.
- Not only will you get a chance to connect with professionals like yourself who are transforming their institutions, but you will also hear from Graham Brown-Martin, author and broadcaster of learning re-imagined, and founder of Learning without Frontiers.
In London on the 18th September? Come to our new series launch!
Click the logo above, to go to the Eventbrite registration page.
Check out our global edtech and edu events calendar at www.theedtechpodcast/events
Tell us your story
We’d love to hear your thoughts. Record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe for inclusion in the next episode. Or you can post your thoughts or follow-on links via twitter @podcastedtech or via The Edtech Podcast Facebook page or Instagram.