#147 – Next Billion Edtech Prize Winners
Subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn – and now Google Podcasts!
What’s in this episode?
Hello listeners! This week we throwback to my visit to Dubai in March. I was visiting the Global Education and Skills Forum, which hosts the global teacher prize and the next billion prize. The next billion edtech prize was launched by the The Varkey Foundation to recognise the most innovative technology destined to have a radical impact on education in low income and emerging world countries. Enjoy, and send us your feedback and comments! In this episode you’ll hear from;
- Sophie Bailey is the Founder and Presenter of The Edtech Podcast | Twitter: @podcastedtech
- Doreen Kessy, Chief Business Officer, Ubongo | Twitter: @doreenkessy
- Khadija El-Bedweihy, Founder, Praxilabs | Twitter: @PraxiLabs
- Sneha Sheth, CEO, Dost Education | Twitter: @snehaksheth
- Arushi Wasan, Program & Growth, Dost Education | Twitter: @arushiwasan
- Eliza Erikson, Investment Partner, Omidyar Network | Twitter: @OmidyarNetwork
- Carla Aerts, Director, Tmrw Institute | Twitter: @TmrwInstitute
Quotes from this episode
I’ve had former prime minister’s say that they will volunteer for us!
There are 440m kids in Africa and they are going through a severe crisis. It’s preparing them for the past.
We are wasting their time. We are lying to them and they are going to be very frustrated.
This is wrong, it’s an injustice. It’s not fair, it’s not like people are stupid. It’s access!
I was working in Washington DC and I thought who’s life am I changing here? I’m just making somebody richer. I was very unhappy.
We are looking for value-aligned advertisers for our 2Q19 episodes. Contact us!
- Global Education & Skills Forum
- The Global Teacher Prize
- The Next Billion Edtech Prize
- The Varkey Foundation
- Omidyar Network
- Doreen Kessy
- International Rescue Committee
- Lifecoach School Podcast
- Ubongo website
- You Tube – Akiliandme (pre& primary show for 3-6 year old)
- You Tube – Ubongokids (STEM show for 7-14 year olds)
- Khadija El-Bedweihy
- Khadija’s email
- Sneha Sheth
- Arushi Wasan
- Dost Education
- Fast Forward
- Dost Education website
- Dost contact email
- Carla Aerts
- Tmrw Institute
- Omidyar Network
- Eliza Erikson
- Omidyar Website
- London Edtech Week
- “No Impact, No Edtech” – Tmrw Institute meet up @London Edtech Week – 19th June at Vue Cinema, Lower Regent Street
Transforming Higher Education
If you are questioning how to best support the emerging needs of a mid-21st century university, join
us on the 11-12 June in London. We will discuss how institutions are improving operational agility,
investing in educational technology and transforming teaching and learning.
- Universities are eligible for a free pass, simply register here
- Edtech orgs and others, use the Edtech Podcast’s 20% discount code PODCAST20 to attend as a delegate here
Employment and Skills Convention
Beyond Brexit: A future that works for all
10 July, London
The employment and skills convention will explore how to grow successful partnership with skills and employment support providers to increase and improve access to high quality training, traineeships, apprenticeships and T-Levels; and provide a platform for politicians and professionals to present latest developments in policy and delivery. Rt Hon Amber Rudd, secretary of state for work and pensions, will deliver a keynote address at the convention. The event should be of interest to experts and policymakers in employment, skills, health and welfare.
Tell us your story
We’d love to hear your thoughts. Record a quick free voicemail via speakpipe for inclusion in the next episode. Or you can post your thoughts or follow-on links via twitter @podcastedtech or via The Edtech Podcast Facebook page or Instagram.