#62 – on language learning and gaming (WIBBU/RUBY REI Takeover)
On language learning and gaming (WIBBU/RUBY REI Takeover)
Teacher resources here
What’s in this episode?
Introduction 0-3:00 (UFI Charitable Trust Edtech Funding, Reviews and Ratings)
Jo Sayers, Head of Product, at UK-based ELTJam, a digital product and UX innovation lab 3.30 – 8.00
- Sabrina Espasandin, an English as a Foreign Language teacher with 16 years experience in Argentina and over 5 years teaching edtech innovation in schools across Spain 8.00 – 15.00
- Dean Jacobs, CEO and Co-Founder of Wibbu, London based with 8 languages under his belt. 15.00 – 30.00
Outro 30.00 – 31.00
- Very little is done where you are learning in environment in your normal life, not your ‘educational’ life
- Games were always part of my practice whether I was using technology or not
- Our philosophy is motivation is the number one factor in language learning
Messages from The Edtech Podcast:
VOTE for The Edtech Podcast in the British Podcasting Awards!
JOIN US at The Edtech Podcast 1st Birthday Party!
Collaborate on our LIVE podcast series – we are on the look out for unique venues or complimentary sponsors.
- Ruby Rei: http://www.wibbu.com/ruby-rei/
- Wibbu: https://twitter.com/wibbu_studios
- Teacher resources: http://www.wibbu.com/resources/
- UFI Edtech Funding: http://www.ufi.co.uk/voctech-s
- Jo Sayers: https://twitter.com/jo_sayers
- ELT Jam: https://eltjam.com/
- Sabrina Espasandin: https://twitter.com/sabrieo
- Dean Jacobs: https://twitter.com/deanmarcjacobs
- Busuu: https://twitter.com/busuu
- Duolingo: https://twitter.com/duolingo
- ELTJam and Chatbots: https://eltjam.com/elt-bot/
- Kahoot: https://twitter.com/GetKahoot
- Stephen Krashen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Krashen
- Stephen Krashen: https://twitter.com/skrashen
- Cambridge (KET) curriculum: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/key-for-schools/
- Cambridge English Language Assessment: https://twitter.com/CambridgeEng
- UKIE: https://ukie.org.uk/
- UKIE: https://twitter.com/uk_ie
- Department of International Trade: https://twitter.com/tradegovuk
- Nick Jenkins (Moonpig): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Jenkins
- Ark schools: https://twitter.com/arkschools
- Ian Hetherington: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Hetherington
- Bett Show: https://twitter.com/Bett_show
- Game Developers Conference: https://twitter.com/Official_GDC
- http://eltjam.academy/ – ‘edtechpod’ to get the first course free
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢
Contact email@example.com to find out more
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
‘I am both a listener and a past interviewee on The Edtech Podcast and I can’t recommend it highly enough: it’s an excellent resource.’
Prof. Rose Luckin, Professor of Learner Centred Design, UCL Knowledge Lab – photo in past guests folder
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by downloading the anchor app for free and recording a quick comment. You can then forward this to The Edtech Podcast anchor account or via twitter to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project:
Get in contact with me about how I work independently.
SXSWedu® Conference & Festival
More from SXSWedu in a few weeks.
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Bett is your annual opportunity to experiment with the latest education technology, hear from inspirational figures and experts in the industry and meet your peers from far and wide (as in literally from classrooms around the world).Read more and register here: For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe’s largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/
ASU GSV Summit 2017!