#51 – How can tech save teachers time? Innovation & efficiency
What’s in this week’s episode?
- BYOD vs 1 to 1 initiatives with Surface
- Using technology to do the heavy lifting and save time on resources, feedback and data
- Using a flipped approach for staff, students, governors and parents –
- Plus more on Leadership, planning and serving your students
Alan Crawford, Vice Principal, Shireland Collegiate Academy
- Reading about emotional intelligence is something I find really interesting
- Our whole academy is built on Office 365
Sir Mark Grundy, Headteacher, Shireland Collegiate Academy, @sirmarkgrundy, quotes:
- We’ve created a system which frees hours and hours and hours of staff time
- At the risk of putting myself out of favour with the photocopying industry…what most schools do, is photocopy the world. It’s not an economic way of delivering learning.
- I’m stubborn in that I won’t accept that technology should force our processes to change. We are your best and worst place to pilot anything.
- What you can’t do is build all sorts of technology benefits on top of chaos.
- Not enough schools are stubborn around the processes of learning and school improvement and school management.
- I have a problem with BringYourOwnDevice. It’s just chaos, utter chaos!
- The depth of scrutiny we now get from our trustees is at a level I’ve never seen
- I think technology is just such a great lever for support and change and it’s a great leveller
- I expect the leadership team to serve the staff and the kids. I don’t expect the staff to serve the leadership team.
- Do our staff feel pressured? Yes they do. Do they feel accountable? Yes they do. Do I think they feel well supported by us? Yes, I think they do.
- We have pushed our staff to put try and do a more evidence based analysis of what they do
- My experience in the DFE at the moment is they are genuinely looking at how to do things differently.
- I was hugely impressed. She spoke about a different landscape. She touched on the sort of skills our young people need. Every conversation has involved how do we harness the power of technology
Attending Bett? Meet Alan Crawford, Vice Principal, and Sir Mark Grundy, Headteacher, both at Shireland Collegiate Academy at Bett 2017. Register here.
Questions for Andreas Schleicher, Director for Education and Skills, and Special Advisor on Education Policy to the Secretary-General at the OECD – email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Like the FB page here!
- Office MIX/Office 365 for Education
- Matt Woodruff Coscole
- Anoop Gupta
- David Irish, Associate Principal, Shireland
- Teacher Toolkit
- Dylan William
- Emotional Intelligence – Daniel Goleman
- Jonathan Bishop, Broadclyst – they are doing amazing stuff with the kids in their school
- School 21 in London – AI on revision: School 21 in London has got some cracking stuff around their thematic delivery
- Mike Parker – Director Schools North East
- Microsoft Schools – putting in contact with other schools internationally.
- Nicky Morgan/EEF – research schools,
- Institute of effective education university of York, Nikky Jones (Nicola Jones)
- Lord Jim Knight
- Justine Greening
Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Edtech Podcast via iTunes, TuneIN Radio, Stitcher, Pocket Cast and many more. You can also subscribe to The Edtech Podcast weekly for news, events updates and episode links: Sign up to The EdTech Podcast Weekly 🎧 – Latest Episode Links & News 📢
Contact email@example.com to find out more
1000+ listeners from 69 countries each week
3 ad slots per episode
Co-curated takeover episodes
International pop-ups and LIVE podcast recording events
Support independent community building in the edtech space
Thank you for your podcast reviews!:
Dave Smith, Chair, NAACE
‘Extremely informative and on the button!’
Add your thoughts and feedback for inclusion in the next episode, by downloading the anchor app for free and recording a quick comment. You can then forward this to The Edtech Podcast anchor account or via twitter to @podcastedtech.
I can help you with your project or business:
Get in contact with me about bespoke consultancy projects.
Innovate My School is a strategic partner of The EdTech Podcast. Visit www.innovatemyschool.com to subscribe to the free newsletter for the latest inspirational articles
Visit www.edtechnology.co.uk to sign up for the free fortnightly e-newsletter for the latest news and innovations in EdTech, featuring The Edtech Podcast
Visit http://www.besa.org.uk/ for member news and information. 10% discount for BESA members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
Visit https://www.naace.co.uk for member news and information. 10% discount for NAACE members on podcast sponsorship and ads.
University Business (UB) was launched in 2005, and in the past decade has established itself as the leading B2B publication within the UK HE sector. http://universitybusiness.co.uk/
Bett is your annual opportunity to experiment with the latest education technology, hear from inspirational figures and experts in the industry and meet your peers from far and wide (as in literally from classrooms around the world).Read more and register here: For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit www.ukeduweekly.com to review the latest news and articles
EdTechXEurope is the leading thought leader summit bringing together executive level investors, innovators and industry influencers from European and international education companies. Now in its fourth year, EdTechXEurope hosted 800+ global attendees and invited over 150 speakers to showcase EdTech innovations and perspectives from around the world. http://edtechxeurope.com/
The EdTech Exchange is Europe’s largest community of EdTech Founders and provides members with mentoring, support and a programme of events designed to share best practice through peer-to-peer learning. The Exchange brings together like-minded EdTech entrepreneurs, encouraging them to exchange ideas, swap war stories, and give and receive advice from their peers. It is solely for Founders of EdTech companies who have raised at least £100,000 of financing or revenue, with many members having raised significantly more. http://edtech.exchange/
The Edtech Podcast supports the mission of WomenEd: #WomenEd is a grassroots movement which connects existing and aspiring leaders in education. Even though women dominate the workforce across all sectors of education there still remain gender inequalities, particularly at senior leadership level. The situation regarding BME leadership is even more dire considering the fact that the student population is becoming increasingly diverse. This situation is clearly unacceptable and rapid change is needed. #WomenEd will therefore campaign and use its collective power to make improvements, so that there is a more equitable balance in terms of gender and ethnicity at leadership level across all sectors of education. http://www.womened.org/
Get a 10% discount for the Digital Transformation event (H.E), this March: http://digitaltransformationhe.co.uk/